logo  
phone-icon +91 08518-255160
email-icon info@kurnoolmedicalcollege.in
admissions faculty successive-principles media-clips contact-us
histroy


Govt General Hospital

In 1852 a small hospital of only two wards was built out of provincical funds, in the town, at a cost of about Rs. 5000/- It functioned as a Government Institution till 1866, when it was handed over to the municipality.

Gradually, as necessity arose and as funds were available, additions were made to the building viz. Out patient department a small operation room a Female ward and a Maternity block. The hospital was again transferred to the control of Government from 1st April 1899.

But, as the town began to grow, a growing necessity for enlargement of the Hospital was felt and it was decided that the old building should be abandoned alltogether. A new Hospital was built at the site, on which the present buildings, stand, in the year 1971. This consisted of an administrative block, with two wards of 20 beds each on either side, one for male and the other for female patients. In 1920 at a distance from the male ward, an operation theatre, kitchen, store rooms and the isolation wards were completed. Sub-sequently quarters for the staff and a postmortem room were sanctioned and constructed in another three years.

During the year 1928, a maternity ward of six bed with an additional room for septic cases, at a cost of Rs. 18,075/- was constructed. During 1947, a septic labour room and patient’s preparation rooms were constructed at a cost of Rs. 5400/- The six unoccupied servants quarters were converted into a general ward of single room for paying patients with the approval of Government in GO No. 78W. Public works and Labour Department dated 17.3.1928. But, when the nursing staff was increased there were no quarters to accommodate them. Hence with the permission of the Government, nurses of the Hospital were accommodated in these wards Electrification of the Hospital was also completed. A contagious (infectious) disease ward of four beds was constructed and cost of Rs 8900/-. This was handed over to the District Medical Officer in June 1931.

An additional ward of 22 beds put up at a cost of Rs. 33,600/- was occupied from 1.4.1934. Of these 10 beds were reserved for the Police Patients consequent on the abolition of the Police Hospital. There were two small rooms for X-ray work and three small wooden partioned rooms for treatment purpose.

The Hospital was converted into a General Hospital in March 1955. Tuberculosis ward with 30 patients was opened on 27.11.1955. Three wards to accommodate, 120 patients were added. Two operation theatres were constructed in 1955 to fit in with the requirements of a General Hospital.

A nurses training centre was started in the Hospital with a total strength of 33 Nurse pupils. It has further been increased and at present the total strength of nurse pupils being trained is 50.

With the opening of a Medical College from the year 1957 the General Hospital has become a teaching institution and a new outpatient block was built and was occupied in 1958. A second floor to accommodate the Internee students and postgraduates was built in. The original Chief Engineer’s (Electrical) building facing the K.C. Canal was taken over by the General Hospital andconverted to T.B. wing of three blocks to accommodate 159 beds was constrcted and occupied. The total bed strength of the hospital is 600, at present. An improved kitchen block to serve the dietary needs of the expected General Hospital was completed in 1963.

For the Past 15 years there has been tremendous developments both in buildings and equipment. In 1994-95 a huge sm of Rs. 10 crores was sanctioned by the Government of Andhra Pradesh to both the institutions of Kurnool Medical College and Govt. General Hospital, Kurnool, which included construction of Super Specialities block at a cost of Rs. 2.80 crores and 45 upper class paying rooms block at a cost of Rs. 54 lakhs. Most of the super speciality departments are equipped with sophisticated high tech machinery for the ultimate care and benefit of poor patients of Rayalaseema and surrounding districts. For example, cardiology department has the equipment viz., Colour Doppler, Echo-Cardiography, Computerised Treadmill, Central Station Monitoring. The radiology department has one 100 MA machine. This is a highly sophisticated one, costing one crore. Besides this, there are three 500 MA, one 700 MA, 300 MA, attached to MMR, 60MA portable X-Ray machines and 2 ultrasound machines. Further, there is one ultrasound scanning machine provided exclusively for the Gynaecology department and one to family planning with addition of Video Operative Laproscopic equipment to the department. Similarly, the department of Gastroenterology has a sophisticated video Endoscopic equipment. The Neuro Surgery department has operating microscope the Orthopaedic department has the facility of C’Arm which helps the sugeons to do some of the latest orthopaedic surgical procedures Viz., with latest equipment. To mention these are the few significant additions to this Hospital. The department of surgery has an operative laproscopic equipment, but, with certain deficiencies which are being looked into one by one and fulfilled. This hospital with dedicated staff, barring few deficiencies is on part with any other superspeciality hospitals.

Acute medical care unit was constructed with all the facilities like ventilater central suction and oxygen facility bed side X-ray and with monitors was inagurated in the year 2003 with 30 beds. Recently bed side ultrasound machine was procured. A new Trauma care unit with O.T. facilities is ready for inauguration. A new surgical block is under construction. Maternity and child block is waiting for a foundation stone to be laid in this month.



 
facebook twitter linkedin rss