logo  
phone-icon +91 08518-255160
email-icon info@kurnoolmedicalcollege.in
admissions faculty successive-principles media-clips contact-us
histroy


The History of Kurnool Medical College

When Andhra State was formed in October 1953, the government of Andhra decided to start a medical college in the Rayalaseema region of the state. In G.O. Ms. No. 1835, Health, dated 29th November 1955, the government of Andhra passed orders to establish a medical college, the third one in the state at Kurnool. As the building was not ready for locating this college the government decided to admit 50 students intended for Kurnool Medical College at Guntur in July 1956. When Andhra Pradesh was formed and the capital was shifted to Hyderabad from Kurnool the erstwhile secretariat buildings were handedover to medical college.

The college was opened on 21st July 1957 by Sri T.T. Krishnamachari, the then finance minister, government of India. 50 students were admitted to the M.B.B.S. course.

Laboratories for subjects of the non-clinical course were established in due course. The construction of a “clinical lecture hall cum clinical pathology laboratory” in the hospital and the construction of an air conditioned mortuary for 24 dead bodies were undertaken latter and these buildings were ready by the summer of 1958.

New out patient block of the Government General Hospital, Kurnool which is the associated teaching hospital was constructed at a cost of Rs. 9 Lakhs and the inauguration of this and the clinical courses was performed on 28th January 1958 by Sri D.K. Karmankar, the Health Minister, government of India. The first batch of second M.B.B.S. students from the batch of 50 students originally admitted to Guntur Medical College in July 1956 now joined this college for their clinical courses. The first units in the major subjects of Medicine, Surgery and Midwifery were created in July 1957.

The Kurnool Medical College was first affiliated to Sri Venkateswara University, from January 1957 and permanently affiliated from January1959. This college later affiliated to N.T.R. University of Health Sciences 1986.

The NCC unit attached to the college was started in January, 1958 Laboratory technician’s courses and laboratory attender’s courses were started in October 1958. In the same year, the Government also established at this college, a Regional Laboratory to serve the needs of Rayalaseema districts.
A well planned Animal House with separate units for different laboratory animals was built and commissioned for use in 1961. A Central work shop started functioning from 1964.

The legislators hostel, which was very close to, the college was given for locating the men’s hostel during 1958 and it accommodated 175 students. Further expansion of this hostel was made to accommodate 350 students in all.

The then state guest house was also handed over by the governement during 1958, and it is used as women’s hostel. Additional accommodation is shown in the hospital premises in improved sheds as sub hostel for women. A new extension at a cost of 2 crores is nearly completed which will provide accommodation to 150 more women students and 56 women postgraduate students. So that it will be possible to accommodate women students at a single place. After the sub hostel for women students was vacated, it was proposed to give it to P.G. Students. Afterwards new P.G. quarters were constructed with 75 single rooms.

The government of Andhra Pradesh passed orders sanctioning the transfer of government site adjoining the college compound to the Medical College to be used as a playground.

An Assembly cum library hall was constructed at a cost of Rs. 1.5 lakhs, in the year 1959. Expansion of the Anatomy Department was taken up and completed. A clinical research block at a cost of Rs. 6 lakhs was taken up and completed and commissioned for use. Rural health centre for the teaching of social and preventive medicine was opened at Parla village in 1960.

The college provides facilities for the following postgraduate degree/diploma courses.

MS (Anotomy, MD (Physiology, MD (Biochemistry, MD (Pharmacology), MD (Microbiology), MD (Pathology), DCP, MD (Forensic Medicine), MD (SPM)/Community Medicine)DPH, MS (ENT, DLO), MS (Opthalmology), DO, MD (General Medicine), MS (General Surgery), MD (Gynecology), MD (TBCD), MD (STD), MD (Pediatrics), DCH MD (Anesthesia), MD (Radiology), DMRD, MS (Orthopedics) and recently the Medical Council of India, New Delhi has inspected this college for recognition and starting of some superspeciality course i.e. DM (Neurology), DM (Gastroenterology), DM (Nephrology), M.Ch (Pediatrics Surgery), M.Ch. (Neuro Surgery), M.Ch. (Plastic Surgery), M.Ch. (Cardio thorasic surgery), DM (Cardiology), M.Ch. (Urology) etc., in this college.

During the year 2003, Acute Medical care (AMC) unit and ICCU unit are started in the Government General Hospital, Kurnool.

During the year 2001-02 and 2002-03 an examination hall of capacity 400 and a examination hall/lecturer gallery of capacity 400 members was also contructed in the college for the increased seats. Renovation of the Physiology and Anatomy departments was done. Extra accommodation is also provided to the students in the hostels both for men and women, Construction work for the new mortuary building is also in progress and a new pathology laboratory is also provided. A new Trauma care unit is awaiting for inauguration and a foundation stone to be laid for maternity and child block.

National and International Figures:

Dr. S. Pinakapani, Dr. C.R.R.M. Reddy, Dr. Sitadevi, Dr. P.S.R.K. Haranath, Dr. D. Bhasker Reddy and Dr. B. Sadasivudu, Dr. N. Ramachandrarao, Teachers. Old students of this college who are internationally famous for their academic excellence are Dr. Nageswara Reddy, Dr. P. Jagannath to name a few. This college has the reputation of producing many more in various other fields like politics, industries, all India services etc.


 
facebook twitter linkedin rss